Tuesday, June 24, 2003

An adult theater at the Plaza?

Well, probably not the adult theater you were thinking of, but the Palace theater (owned by Cinemark) on the Plaza in Kansas City no longer allows children without adult supervision. Actually, children under 6 won't be allowed under any circumstances.

These new rules are not completely logical because teens make up the majority of moviegoers, but the rules do help position the Palace as "Kansas City's Premier Theater," which has been their aspiration for some time. Other recent tactics used to stop the teen influx were removing all student discounts and raising ticket prices (first $7.75, now $8.00).

I think there are a lot of people (me included) who will pay a premium to see a movie without the distractions that kids bring. However, there is a limit on that premium, and I think $8.00 is right about there for me. To pay $8.00 and still have to sit through 10 minutes of commercials (not movie previews, but Skittles commercials) is borderline outrageous.

I don't know right now if the changes will change my movie-going frequency. I guess if the Palace's theory works, my wife and I will go more often.

More details are available in this story from the KC Star.

No comments: