Sunday, June 22, 2003

Now that I’ve seen The Hulk…

I disagree with the harshness of most of the reviews I’ve read. My plan was to not read any reviews, but, of course, I ended up reading some on Friday. Needless to say, they were less than glowing and, in my opinion, too negative.

Overall, I thought The Hulk was a good movie. Not great, but it definitely gives you a different take on the summer blockbuster. The story is engaging and kept my interest. The animation was very good – opposite to what a lot of people have said. The comic-book look and feel is the strongest part of this movie, as Ang Lee uses split screens, unique transitions, and fast editing to set the mood.

I thought the animated Hulk was very good. I do agree with the criticisms that the Hulk lacks the emotional capability to draw the audience in, which hurts the film because we need to feel for the Hulk for this to truly work. The action scenes, however, are very impressive. I truly enjoyed the Hulk smashing tanks, fighting helicopters, and bounding around the desert. It was great fun.

No comments: