Sunday, June 15, 2003

My iPod obsession...

I don't think it's a unique affliction, but I've spent a lot of time recently obsessing over the the new iPods. I haven't been able to convince myself that it's worth 300 hard earned dollars (at a minimum), so I've been searching eBay for a used one.

Searching eBay has been an interesting experience because I expected that eBay, being a well-functioning and well-informed marketplace, would have the older iPods at a hefty discount from the current retail prices. What I found was that older iPods hold their value extremely well. A used 2nd generation 10 GB iPod is selling for approximately $225-$250 on eBay, when you can by a new 3rd generation one for $299. I don’t know if this is because the iPod purchasing community on eBay is not as well informed as I expected or because the new iPods are in short supply. Anyway, it surprised me, and I guess I’m going to either wait until the prices on eBay fall or make a trip to MacHardware and buy a new one.

No comments: