Saturday, May 10, 2008

Photographic Evidence

While I don't quite feel like a "doctor" yet, it's starting to sink in.  Yesterday was my graduation and "hooding".  There were five of us getting our Ph.Ds yesterday, and we were each accompanied by our advisor during the ceremony.  I carried my hood over my arm until I arrived on stage when my advisor, Mat Forstater (standing behind me) put it on me.  The other gentleman in the photo is the head of the School of Graduate Studies.  My dissertation title was "Poverty and the World Bank:  An examination of Economic Development Theory and Practice".
After the "hooding" I shook my Mat's hand and managed not to cry.  Here you can really see the hood.  There's a dark blue velvet lining that represents the doctor of philosophy (the "D" in Ph.D), and the yellow and blue chevrons are UMKC's colors.  Both the robe and hood were rentals so I didn't get to keep them :( .  If I decide to go into academia then I'll probably end up buying a set.
My parents, sister, and (of course!) Scott came to the ceremony.  I couldn't have done this without Scott's wonderful support all these years.  
Lincoln didn't attend the ceremony but he got to enjoy some cake that night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, what an accomplishment. We are all proud of you.

Tricia said...

Congratulations Linda! You are an inspiration. And, I think your dissertation sounds interesting.

Grandma Pat said...

It was a very impressive ceremony and we are very proud of you! All of you deserve a lot of credit. Congratulations again, Dr. Linda Hauner!