Friday, October 13, 2006

Lincoln's First Sweater - A Knitting Post



I'm calling this "Lincoln's First Sweater" because it's the first sweater I ever knit - *not* because it's the first sweater he'll wear. I finished this sweater vest on the day that Lincoln was born! It's made out of a super-soft yarn (Debbie Bliss Cashmerino) and was really fast to make. The white ribbing on the bottom is a "design element" that occurred when I ran out of green yarn. The pattern is a generic pattern from "The Handy Book of Sweater Patterns".

This sweater shows just how little I knew about babies at the time. I actually knit it the exact size I wanted (no gauge issues) thinking that Lincoln could wear it at Christmas. As you can see, it's big enough to double as a blanket for him right now, and he probably won't wear it until Christmas 2007. Oh well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute! That is a very handsome sweater Linda, nice job! Lincoln, your doing a great job modeling it!

KK said...

Wow! What a beautiful color green! I love that sweater! And what a cutie patootie Lincoln is!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am impressed by a few things--
Number 1-You knitted a sweater. That takes a lot of skill, determination and patience. Number 2-You finished it on Lincoln's BIRTHday. That seems cosmic.
Number 3-The accidental design element adds some nice flair to this sweater.
I like the sweater.

Elinor said...

So cute!!!